There are over 130,000 acres of opportunities for special events within Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area and Obed Wild and Scenic River. To help ensure resource protection, visitor safety and make sure that other visitors’ experience is not significantly impeded, special events such as weddings and endurance races require a special use permit. In order to provide consistency and fairness to all, starting October 1, 2017, there will be some clarifications to the application periods and permit fees.
Depending on the activity, applications for special use permits are to be submitted no later than the following time frames:
Weddings or Other Single Location Events
• No more than 25 persons — 2 weeks prior to the event
• More than 25 persons — 8 weeks prior to the event
Large Trail-based Events Such as Endurance Races
• Events that will take place on existing approved trails — 8 weeks prior to the event
• After-hour pool use — 5 business days prior to the event
• All other requests will be processed within 30 calendar days if the application is complete and without alteration. Requests involving multiple locations, complex logistics, or coordination with other visitor activities will require a minimum of 30-45 calendar days to process.
All maps, routes, equipment used, logistical needs and other specifics of the event should be submitted along with the non-refundable application fee of $50. Additional fees may apply depending on the complexity of the event. Applicants should not make plans or commitments based on the proposed location/date/time until they are in possession of an officially signed permit. Park staff will be available to discuss the permitting process with applicants and assist with any questions.
More information and applications can be downloaded from our website at https://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/special-use-permits.htm or at https://www.nps.gov/obed/planyourvisit/special-use-permits.htm. For further assistance about event planning in the parks, contact the Fee Manager’s Office at (423) 569-2404 ext. 240 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.