Skip to content

Clay County escapees captured

Two escapees from the Clay County Detention Center were arrested in McCreary County early Saturday morning after officers responded to a complaint in Stearns.

James Creekmore, 32, of Whitley City and Michael A. Jones, 20, of Winchester were charged with First Degree Escape and Public Intoxication and other charges after being found hiding near a local motel.
Kentucky State Police Troopers Willie Cowan and Shaler Jones responded to a Bruce Street residence around 3:45 a.m. after receiving a complaint about two males arguing with a female.
KSP Post 11 confirmed the two suspects were escapees from the Clay County Detention Center, who had apparently walked away from a work detail earlier that day.
Upon arrival at the residence, the officers were informed the two suspects had fled into the back yard, and a search was initiated.
U.S. Forestry Officer Tim Grooms responded to the scene with his K9 tracking dog, and shortly located the two men hiding beside an out building at the Big South Fork Motor Lodge.
After the men were surrounded, Creekmore reportedly refused to comply with an order to show his hands, and was Tasered by both officers. The citation states Creekmore still refused to comply with orders and received about five shocks in total until he was subdued.
According to the report Jones complied immediately with the order to surrender and did not resist arrest.
Sheriff Gus Skinner and Deputy Jerry Meadows assisted at the scene.
Creekmore was charged with resisting arrest and also served with a McCreary County District Court warrant for non-payment of fines. He also will face additional charges in Tennessee for parole violations stemming from a Manufacturing Methamphetamine conviction in Scott County in 2012.
Creekmore was originally serving a six-year sentence for theft, while Jones was serving a seven-year sentence for robbery charges in Campbell County.
Both men were transported to the Wayne County Detention Center.

Leave a Comment