Skip to content

Inmate escapes from Transport Officer

By: Greg Bird

Two other prisoners run from deputy two days later

A Prisoner in the custody of a McCreary County Transport Officer escaped late Thursday night, but was recaptured later the next morning.

Two days later two prisoners in the custody of a McCreary County Sheriff’s Deputy managed to briefly escape from a police cruiser, but were recaptured a short while later.

According to McCreary County Judge Executive Doug Stephens Transport Officer Lonnie Brown has been placed on leave pending an investigation in to the Thursday night escape.

According to the arrest citations Officer Brown was transporting Marvin. L. Kilby, 42, to the Wayne County Detention Center when he pulled over the transport vehicle around 11:33 p.m. due to the prisoner complaining about the handcuffs cutting in to his hands.

Officer Brown reported he opened the back door of the cruiser, and was in the process of loosening the cuffs when the prisoner kicked him in the left knee, knocking the officer to the ground.

Judge Stephens said the transport officer executed poor judgment in stopping in the first place, and noted it violated procedure.

Kilby fled into the woods, and Officer Brown alerted 911 Dispatch about the escape and requested law enforcement to assist in the search.

McCreary County Sheriff’s Deputy Jerry Meadows, along with Kentucky State Police Troopers Willie Cowan and Shaler Jones responded to Mac Swain Circle Thursday night after being notified of the escape.

Around 3:14 a.m. officers located the vehicle Kilby was driving at the time of his initial arrest parked outside of the Parkhurst Apartments.

The suspect was spotted through a window inside one of the apartments and reportedly was trying to hide. Officers knocked on the door and were granted entry into the apartment by the female occupant of the residence, but she denied Kilby was present at that time. Officers heard a male subject behind a door in another room; investigated the noise and found Kilby hiding in an attic entrance in the room.

According to the arrest report, Kilby refused to leave the attic, and fought with officers when they tried to apprehend him.

After a struggle he finally was taken into custody when Deputy Meadows deployed his Taser.

Kilby was charged with Escape 1st Degree, Assault on an Offcier 3rd Degree, Resisting Arrest and Theft by Unlawful Taking under $500, and is being lodged in the Wayne County Detention Center.

Brown was examined and released from Lake Cumberland Regional Hospital after the assault.

Kilby was initially arrested Thursday evening by Kentucky State Police Willie Cowan on five outstanding warrants for non-payment of fines and operating on a suspended license.

The McCreary County Sheriff’s Department and Kentucky State Police are investigating.

The second escape occurred Sunday afternoon after McCreary County Sheriff’s Deputy Joe Horne responded to a call to investigate a possible fight at the Dixie Transport Apartments around 5:30 p.m.

On his way to the scene he observed the vehicle reported to contain the suspects pull in to Larry’s Mini Mart and pulled in to confront them.

Deputy Horne arrested the driver Timothy Brown, along with passengers Francina Sparks and Rodney Vaughn under suspicion of public intoxication.

The Deputy transported the prisoners to the McCreary County EMS building for a blood draw.

As the officer was alerting the EMS crew on duty, Vaughn reached through a partially opened window on the cruiser and managed to open the door.

Vaughn and Sparks fled the vehicle, but were observed attempting to flee by an EMS employee.

Deputy Horne gave chase and caught Vaughn after a short pursuit, while Sparks was found trying to hide under a vehicle behind the EMS building.

In addition to public intoxication, both Vaughn and Sparks were charged with Escape Third Degree, Fleeing or Evading Second Degree and Disorderly Conduct Second Degree. Brown was charged with DUI.

Leave a Comment