It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
The official start of the holiday season in McCreary County kicks off on Friday, December 4 at 6: 00 p.m. during the lighting of the McCreary County Christmas Tree on the Courthouse lawn. This year also marks the first “McCreary County Christmas Trail Decorating Challenge” sponsored by the McCreary County Tourism Commission. Participating locations, both residential and business, will be judged Thursday December 10 between 6:00 and 9:00 p.m. During those same hours, local radio station WHAY 98.3 will broadcast Christmas music with driving directions to decorated spots and more during McCreary County’s first “Christmas Trail Tour.” Individuals can vote for the “People’s Choice” award during the decorating challenge by liking and sharing the Banquet of Blessings Facebook page and voting for a favorite entry. Voting for the “People’s Choice” award continues through December 15.
The McCreary County Christmas craft fair is scheduled for Saturday December 5 from 10:00-2:00 at Milt’s Catering Hall (former BBQ restaurant on Main Street Whitley City.) There is no charge for crafter’s to set up, but all crafters must preregister through the McCreary County Tourism Office.
McCreary Central High School and United Cumberland Bank will present the McCreary Central Alumni Choir Christmas Concert on Sunday December 6 at 2:00 p.m.
McCreary County celebrates its first annual Trail Town Christmas with events scheduled in downtown Stearns from December 5 through December 19. The following events are scheduled.
Saturday December 5
• 12:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.-Stearns General Store Vendors’ Open House
• 11:30 a.m.-Line up at Depot, pet parade at 12:00 p.m.-Gracie’s Rescue Pet Parade
• 2:00 p.m.-Christmas Storytime at the Depot with McCreary County Public Library
• 4:00 p.m. -7:00 p.m.-Christmas Photos by Michelle Photography (fee)
• 3:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.-Historic Stearns Home Holiday Tour (fee)
• Santa Express Train Ride (fee) at 3:00 p.m./5:00 p.m./7:00 p.m.
• 4:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.-Horse Drawn Wagon Rides with BSF Outdoor Adventures (fee)
• 7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.-Live Music at Whistle Stop (fee)
• 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.-McCreary County Museum Open House and Candle Lit Tour (donations appreciated) The Museum has partnered with “A Million Thanks” organization to mail letters to those in the military, both currently serving and veterans. Donations received will be used to support the letter writing campaign. In addition, the Museum has decorated the windows of Store 1 as a way to honor veterans. Photos of WW II veterans are included in the window display.
Sunday December 6
• 12:00-5:00 p.m.-Open Houses at Pottery by Mehg and Sweet Kreations Gift Shoppe
Thursday December 10
• 6:00 p.m.-McCreary County Chamber After Hours (Stearns Poker Run)
• Additional Stearns Trail Town Christmas events (for fee), including horse drawn wagon rides, hay rides with visit from Santa, brunches with Santa, and Santa Express Train rides, are scheduled for December 12 and 19.
Finally, on Christmas Eve, volunteers will serve the annual Banquet of Blessings community dinner at McCreary Middle from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Take out will be available at 10:00 a.m.