Free Drug Test Kits for Parents and Caregivers
The local McCreary County UNITE/KY-ASAP Coalition recently kicked off The “Give Me A Reason” drug prevention initiative for McCreary County. This is a FREE voluntary drug testing program designed as a way for our youth to avoid peer pressure and give them a reason to say “no” to drug use. When confronted with drugs, this initiative will give youth an opportunity to say: “I can’t use drugs, my parents drug test me!” The goal of this program is to help your child make positive life choices. “Young people are especially vulnerable to drug misuse – a time when the brain is still developing. Research tells us that the earlier a teen brain begins using drugs, the more likely he or she will develop a substance abuse problem. Teens who stay away from drugs are less likely to develop substance abuse problems later in life,” Tom Vicini, Deputy Director, Operation UNITE tells trainees at the recent Kick Off event and training.
“Give Me A Reason” will provide free saliva-based drug testing kits to parents or caregivers. The non-invasive test is then given within the privacy of your home with results* in approximately 10 minutes. No personal data will be collected. It is strictly confidential.
The kit tests for a variety of drugs including: Amphetamines (Adderall, Meth, Ecstasy), Buprenorphine, Benzodiazepines (Xanax, Valium, Roofies), Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Methadone, Opiates (Codeine, Heroin, Morphine, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone), Phencyclidine (PCP), and Marijuana (THC).
Funding for this program is provided by Appalachian HIDTA (High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area) in collaboration with Operation UNITE.
Contact one of the locations nearest you to pick up your free kit.
• Adanta, U.S. Highway 27, Whitley City, Anita Cooper, 606-376-2466
• Champions UNITE/KY-ASAP, P.O. Box 1235, Whitley City, Roger Owens, 606-310-0193
• McCreary County Health Department, 119 Medical Lane, Whitley City, Kim Tucker, 606-376-2412
• McCreary County Public Library, 6 North Main Street, Whitley City, Debbie Lyons, 606-376-8738
• McCreary County Public Schools, 180 Raider Way, Stearns, Sunshine Canada, 606-310-1107
• McCreary County Sheriff’s Office, 36 Court Street, Whitley City, Randy Watters, 606-376-2322