The United States Congress has created over 1,200 national days. Like all national days Pearl Harbor Day is not a federal holiday – government offices, schools, and businesses do not close. American Legion Post 115 in Stearns will be honoring our comrades those killed or injured at Pearl Harbor. On Pearl Harbor Day, the American flag should be flown at half-staff until sunset to honor those who died as a result of the attack on U.S Military and naval forces in Hawaii. As a member of United States Uniformed Services and a Legionnaire we remember and honor the 2,403 servicemen killed during the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service attack on Naval Station Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii Territory, without warning and without a declaration of war on Sunday Morning, December 7, 1941.
On December 8th, 1941 President Franklin D. Roosevelt asked Congress to declare war on Japan, which it did, pulling the United States into World War II. President Franklin D. Roosevelt proclaimed December 7th a “date which will live in Infamy.” To honor those who died as a result of the attack on U.S. Military and Naval forces in Hawaii, The United States Congress on August 23, 1994, by Pub L 103-308, designated December 7 of each year as National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. 2017 mark the 76th anniversary of the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. More than 12 million Americans men and women of the Greatest Generation served during the course of the war. More than 400,000 of them were killed.
On December 7th 2017, the Officers of The American Legion Post 115 will ring The Spirit Bell in honor 2,403 comrades killed or injured at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii at 7:00 P.M. On December 9th 2017 at 8:00 P.M the Honor Guard will have a flag ceremony followed by the band Junction South playing music in honor of loved ones who have bravely served our country
American Legion Post 115
December Calendar of Event
• December 7th: 7:00 p.m., Ring Spirit Bell in honor 2,403 comrades killed or injured at Pearl Harbor at 7:00 p.m., followed by Officer Meeting.
• December 9th: 8:00 P.M the American Legion Honor Guard will have a flag ceremony honoring our 2,403 comrades killed or injured at Pearl Harbor Hawaii followed by the band Junction South playing music from 8 to 12 P.M. in honor of loved ones who have bravely served our country.
• December 15th: 6:00 P.M., Parade at 7:00 P.M. Main Street the American Legion, The American Legion Honor, Sons of the American, the Auxiliary and the American Legion youth will have a float in the parade.
• December 16th: 8-12:00 P.M. dance the night away with the band Skynny Lynard.
• December 17th: 12 to 3:00 P.M. American Legion Toys for Tots.
• December 20th: Deliver fruit basket to Nursing Homes in McCreary County and to Veterans of Post 115 Stearns, KY.
• December 21st: 4:30 to 7:00 P.M. American Legion Christmas Dinner for Veterans.
• December 21st: 7:00 P.M American Legion Membership Meeting.
• December 31st: 8 to 12:00 P.M Band American Legions Post 115 New Year Party.