If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
Please enter your email and we will send your username and password to you.
(The Voice received the following “letter to the editor” in early November 2023. Realizing the new owner of the motel intended a total renovation of the facility, The Voice wanted to follow up on the writer’s concerns prior to publishing the letter. The Voice visited the Parkland Motel to see if renovation had begun and if the renovation is progressing as planned. We once again spoke to the new owner, Nick Patel. For complete context of the situation, please read this week’s article, “Parkland renovation well underway,” on page A1.)
I write primarily out of concern but also a profound feeling of sadness for the deterioration of the facilities that are supposed to accommodate visitors to your county. Recently on a trip from my home in Western Kentucky to McCreary (which was my home for 15 years) for a fishing trip with my son and grandsons, we hit a wall where initially we had reservations in Stearns for two nights. Stearns lost our reservations, assigned our rooms to someone else, the only option late at night was the Parkland. The first room shown had bedbugs. That was impressive. The room given to my grandsons was decent, but having seen the bedbugs slept in their sleeping bags. The last room offered for me and my son, had a floor model HVAC unit that had been pulled apart, wires exposed and when we called the Manager to complain, he looked at it, the only English spoken, “It ok, have flow”. Looking around the smoke/ fire detector had no battery. The main ceiling light was a single strand of pink wire with a lightbulb, a touch of color for the room. Didn’t work. Late at night, tired, to be on the Creek fishing with grandkids for two days, we stayed two nights in a room with no heat. Came back after first day, room like we left it, beds unmade, no clean towels. Had to walk down to the office requesting clean towels, no phone in room, took us somewhere in the back of the building for linens that did not look clean, we did not accept and took us to another room where they looked decent. That must have been choice number two, if someone complained. I have called the State offices for Fire Marshall, HVAC and they referred me to as a first step to your local Health Department. Not sure what is the priority, eaten by bedbugs or electrocution. Finally got someone to talk with there, (they do not give last names), who said the County does not have an actual inspector, have to rely on an out of county person. Listened to my complaint, polite, not overly concerned and used the standard line when you can’t do anything, “I’ll try and contact someone”. I called the State back and was assured they would get an inspector to the hotel. My overall impression if this is not corrected then people who come to the County as tourists, if they stay, won’t come back, and you will get hammered on the internet in an unflattering way. When we asked for the owner’s information, at least a name, he was brother to the manager, but didn’t have a name.
Welcome McCreary County to the new world of Third World investors. Final word, beware Room 215.
(Editor’s note: For complete context, please read this week’s article, “Parkland renovation well underway,” on page A1.)